The Association for Reformed Political Action (ARPA) Canada is a non-profit organization devoted to educating, equipping, and encouraging Canada’s Reformed Christians to political action and bringing a biblical perspective to our civil governments. By God’s grace, and through the support of our donors, we are looking to expand our work in Ontario by adding a full-time member to our team dedicated to mobilizing grassroots political action among the Reformed community in that province.
Job Description: Ontario Manager (Full-Time)
Southern Ontario (successful applicant is responsible for providing their own office)
The focus of this position will be on grassroots engagement and mobilization of the Reformed Christian community in Ontario. A secondary role may include bringing a Christian perspective to the Ontario provincial government. The successful applicant will work alongside the current ARPA Canada staff and report to the Director of Advocacy and Director of Law and Policy. Responsibilities include:
- Grassroots Engagement (primary focus):
- The primary focus will be to assist with the formation and ongoing support of Ontario ARPA groups, school clubs, and individuals who are willing to take part in grassroots action (includes attending meetings and events regularly, also in the evenings);
- Build strong relationships of mutual respect with Reformed churches, schools, ARPA groups, and individuals;
- Communicate current political challenges and opportunities to our grassroots in Ontario in a way that inspires them to action (newsletters, articles, videos, presentations, face-to-face meetings, phone calls, etc.);
- Lead by example, showing what godly political engagement can look like;
- Research and Writing:
- Produce articles, action alerts, newsletters, and a variety of other means of communication;
- Be able to communicate policy and law in a way that resonates with our grassroots. This includes a variety of ages, experiences, and interests;
- Produce newsletters, web content, and social media posts for our regular communication with ARPA’s constituents.
- Public speaking/presentations:
- Draft speech transcripts, produce presentations, and be able and willing to deliver this content to a variety of audiences including schools, churches, and the public;
- Possibility of taking part in Ontario speaking tours;
- Speaking at local events/presentations, as required;
- Assisting with ARPA Canada’s conferences (March for Life, God & Government Youth, God & Government, and other conferences).
- Government Relations and Lobbying:
- Build relationships of trust with government officials in Ontario;
- Communicate a Christian perspective on current issues to Ontario MPPs and other government officials through written and oral communications;
- Make presentations before government committees.
- Media Engagement:
- Alongside the ARPA Canada team, prepare op-eds and press releases for mainstream media;
- Take part in media interviews pertaining to grassroots action in Ontario.
- Other Responsibilities:
- Other responsibilities may arise, depending on the skills of the candidate and the requirements of the organization.
- Salary, health benefits and RRSP provided. Serious inquiries can contact us (see below) for specific details;
- Position start time is negotiable depending on individual circumstances.
Requirements for Applicant:
- Heartfelt agreement with the mission and core principles of ARPA Canada;
- Active membership in a confessional Reformed church (a Reformed church which faithfully upholds Scripture and the Three Forms of Unity or the Westminster Standards);
- Ability to give a personal statement of faith;
- Willing to abide by all ARPA Canada staff policies;
- Proven experience with mobilizing grassroots Canadians (i.e. volunteers) to action;
- Long-term development of a Reformed Christian worldview, also as it relates to political/social issues;
- If not currently living in Ontario, must have previously lived there for at least three years and be willing to relocate there by position start date;
- Six month and one year trial periods and minimum 5 year expected commitment;
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to provide own vehicle for travel (monthly compensation available);
- Must be willing to travel a minimum of 15 nights a year;
- Proficiency with MS Office and a variety of web applications;
- Self-motivated and disciplined work ethic;
- Ability to work well with a team that is scattered across Canada, through virtual means;
- Exemplify a positive attitude:
- Show love and grace to all;
- Demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit;
- Promote a positive culture of excellence and zeal for the organization’s mission;
- Respond to challenges and set-backs with godly perspective;
- Demonstrate humility and a heart of service.
- Experience with volunteering with local ARPA groups;
- Undergraduate degree;
- Policy/legal experience;
- Political experience with a similar organization and/or political party.
Applications are requested prior to Nov 30, 2020. ARPA Canada reserves the right to extend the deadline until a suitable candidate is found.
If you are interested in the job description and meet the requirements listed above, please submit:
- your resume;
- an accompanying cover letter;
- a personal statement of faith;
- the names and contact information of at least two work references;
- the name and contact information of one character reference (preferably a pastor or elder);
- two or more writing samples.
Complete application packages must be submitted to Mark Penninga at [email protected]
The cover letter must introduce yourself, detail how you fulfill the requirements listed above (specifically your experience with grassroots engagement), indicate your salary requirements and address the location requirements noted above.
Please Note: ARPA Canada is very grateful for any interest shown in this position. However, due to time constraints and other responsibilities, we reserve the right to not interview all applicants. The deadline for applications may also be changed as we deem necessary. Multiple interviews may be required. ARPA Canada reserves the right to not fill this position.